City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, located at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick location became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders arrived.
This became called the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (areas further west being contested in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The existing town's very first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers also founded a German Reformed Church (today understood as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, constructed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration route up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up 2 years later, both helping to discovered a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (built in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however also the seat of justice.
Essential attorneys who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also known throughout the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with among its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That initial colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise space has actually ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its current building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which remains a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a local doctor to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont ended up being important for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln apprehended several members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise escaped from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek flexibility. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted numerous health centers to nurse the wounded from those fights, as relates in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days later the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, just below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall home for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monument made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise known as the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies just southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Man's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a car trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate home of his daddy. He ended up being an important naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his spouse Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the annual Fantastic Frederick Fair, among the two biggest farming fairs in the State.