City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an essential crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This became understood as the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's regular flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better area with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally encompassed the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being contested between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The existing town's very first home was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his spouse, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration route up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later on, both helping to found a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, however also the seat of justice.
Crucial attorneys who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with among its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That original colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise area has become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its current building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise ended up being one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln jailed several members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also gotten away from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek freedom. Throughout the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted a number of health centers to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days in the future the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, just listed below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Agency, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons bombardment took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Man's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a car journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his daddy. He became an important marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was important in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley acted as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent lender, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Fantastic Frederick Fair, one of the 2 biggest farming fairs in the State.